"But Molly," they exclaim, "I thought you liked it hot. You are usually always complaining about how cold you are. Isn't this what you wanted?!"
Yes people, and no. Sure I like it hot, and given the choice between being too toasty or too chilly, I'd take toasty any day. But there's a big difference between being a little toasty, and literally melting into your bed sheets1. Nobody would choose to die in a fire over freezing to death. NOBODY. And sometimes, that's how I feel, like I'm burning alive here. And burning alive can have some serious consequences on your daily routine. Examples:
- I once had the misguided idea to make brownies. All too soon however, I realized that the oven is pretty much a death trip. Don´t use it unless you are trying to kill yourself via heat stroke.
- Yoga: every yoga session is a Bikram yoga session, whether you like it or not.
- Minor tasks and household chores will reduce you to a sopping wet puddle. Exhibit A: Last night the mere act of trying to open a wine bottle had me drenched (granted, this cork was being a little bit difficult). And then my hands got so sweaty I couldn´t hold onto the corkscrew. And then I almost gave up! But it´s wine we are talking about here, so I didn´t. But I wanted to! And that´s just crazy talk.
- And let me point out that just yesterday, it drizzled a bit in the mid afternoon, as it so often does here, and I swear I saw steam coming off the pavement. You know, the same way steam comes off a hot frying pan when you run water over it.
So ya, I know I asked for this, but cut me a little slack here, I didn't realize when I signed on to work in Santiago that I would be willingly throwing myself into a boiling inferno2.
I just needed to clarify all of this for anyone who asks how I´m doing in the future. Now continue with your beautiful crisp fall day.
1. This actually happened! Once a friend visited me and we both were tired since we'd just walked several miles to get groceries. We took a little siesta on the bed. When we woke up, her shirt was so wet that the color of her bra had bled onto the back of her shirt and stained it pink. That's how hot it is here! Clothes melt onto each other!
2. I may be slightly over-reacting. My writing often seems to have a penchant for the dramatic. And also, extreme heat can have a funny effect on one´s brain. Don't worry though, I will perspire!
Wait I mean perseguir! I will perseguir!
So I'm killing two birds with one stone on the boredom front here: mastering yoga and improving my photography skills. I think I'm getting pretty good with the ol' self-timer function.